Monday, April 22, 2024

Earth Day and The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning

Earth Day and The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning

By Melinda Gustafson Gervasi

April 22, 2024

Regular readers of my blog and recipients of my office newsletter (click here to check out past editions) know of my interest in The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning.  Fueled in part by nearly twenty years as an estate planning and probate attorney with its visibility to how hard it is to clear out a deceased loved one's possessions as well as my general interest in all things Swedish (I attribute that to my Nordic genetics), today's post melds purging our possessions with taking care of Mother Earth. In honor of Earth Day, here are three suggestions for those looking to prune back possessions:

  1. Donate an item to a museum, historical society, or local theatre production company.  My great-grandfather's wedding suit was donated to the Swedish American Museum in Chicago.  There it aids research and can be used in displays.  
  2. Turn it into art!  Recently my 13 year old daughter called out to me, "Mama, why do we have a framed needlepoint above the mantle that is in Swedish?"  It's been hanging since she was about 3 years old, but only recently did she realize it was unique.  I explained that it had been created by her great, great-grandmother.  I found it crumpled in the back of the linen closet at my parents' house when I was preparing the property to be sold after both of them had died.  It was lovely, and once matted and framed, makes for a highly sentimental piece of art for our home;
  3. Give it away to someone who will love it!  I did that with an old wall clock that also belonged to my Swedish grandparents.  After sitting in my basement for years, not wanted by any of my other relatives, I posted it for free on my neighborhood web site.  A neighbor and friend was thrilled to give it new life. She had grown up with a father who repaired clocks, and lovingly accepted it into her home.  I smile thinking that it was enjoyed, cared for, and not destined for the landfill.
These are just three ideas on how to purge with a purpose.  What did I miss?  Please leave a comment and share your suggestions on how to care for our Earth and keep our possessions manageable.

Remember a blog is not a lawyer, it is meant to spark thought and reflection.  Please consult with an attorney in your home state for advice specific to your situation.  Thank you for reading, and be well. 

No comments: