Thursday, November 19, 2009

Burglars Target Homes Based on Obituary

One of the "to-do" items on my list when we were preparing for my father's visitation and funeral was to ask a neighbor of my parents to keep an eye our their home while we were at the funeral. Some thought I was a bit too skeptical, but based on recent local news, I'm glad I did. Turns out the local thieves are using obituary listings to determine when people will be away from the home, and break in. A summary of the events is available on NBC 15's web site. Publishing the day and time of a funeral is a basic element of an obituary. My recommendation, make sure there is someone, a neighbor or friend, who can keep an eye on the home during the event.

3 comments:

CJ said...

That is a contemptible brand of thief.

Christopher Feyrer said...

My sister's husband's parents passed away recently and their home was ransacked (in Milwaukee) I wonder if this methodology was used in the preplanning stage. :(

Melinda Gustafson Gervasi said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and the combined stress of a break-in. Thank you for sharing your story.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to prevent this type of event, other than asking someone to keep an eye of the home?