Saturday, July 20, 2008, Madison, Wisconsin will recognize Gay Pride Day. The agenda includes an address from Congresswomen Tammy Baldwin, followed by a picnic at Brittingham Park. Whether you yourself are in a same-sex relationship, or have a loved one who is, I encourage you learn more about how estate planning can enhance the relationship.
Since same-sex couple commitments are not legally recognized in the State of Wisconsin, partners live without basic rights and responsibilities. However, by taking action, you can bestow those rights and responsibilities on your partner. For example, you can name him or her as:
- Your power of attorney for health care (include a HIPPA waiver);
- Your power of attorney for finance;
- Your personal representative or trustee;
- Recipient of probate assets; and
- As beneficiary on your non-probate assets (life insurance, retirement, etc.).