Friday, February 11, 2011

Probate in Wisconsin

I've been hired by the son of a women who died last week, and she lived in northern Wisconsin. Since her son lives in the Madison area, he wants a Madison attorney and came to me. However, an attorney in the women's home town stated that he "had to have a local attorney handle the probate". The son wasn't happy to hear this, thought it sounded odd, and so did I. I'm licensed to handle cases throughout the state, so I called the register in probate for the county where the mother lived. And they confirmed, a local attorney is NOT required for a probate.

So, I've signed on to handle the case. And in this process I came across a very impressive web site, one that provides a step-by-step guide to an informal probate in Wisconsin, with links to the relevant forms. If you are trying to do a probate on your own, I recommend you review this web site.

No comments: