Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Spring Break Motivation

In the past 24 hours I' worked with two different couples on an estate plan, and they are rushed. Why? They have plane tickets to warm clients, and before boarding their flight they want to make sure their estate plans are in order. Fortunately I expect these clients this time of here, and always build a little space into my calendar so that I can work them in.

What if you are headed to warmer clients (I'm located in Madison, Wisconsin), but can't get into an attorney before leaving? My suggestion is to make sure your beneficiary forms are up-to-date and accurate. Whatever is listed on those forms controls, not your will. And now days people own a larger percentage of assets that are distributed by beneficiary form (life insurance and retirement).

As always, it is best to consult a licensed attorney in your area for legal advice....and when doing an estate plan to find an attorney who focuses on that area of the law.

No comments: