Monday, February 4, 2013

Complicated Questions, Simple Answers, and Dr. Seuss

Recently I had the pleasure of admiring the book Dr. Seuss: The Cat Behind the Hat - The Art of Dr. Seuss by Caroline Smith.  As the parent of young children, Dr. Seuss is a frequent author I select for bed-time stories.  This book is more for adults, with interesting information about the man behind the legend as well as an amazing display of his art work.  Already I want to purchase several pieces to hang at home and at work!


The one thing I did not expect to find when looking at the book was a quote relevant to my work world - illness, death and taxes for the middle class.  Yet I did.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple." - Dr. Seuss
Commonly I am asked by clients "I want certain things to happen when I am gone, and I probably need a trust, right?"  Many times they are surprised to learn that I think trusts are over used, creating far more complication than needed.  I actually prefer a simple will if it meets the needs of the client.  Yes, the questions raised in estate planning can be complicated, but a simple will is often the answer.

Thanks for reading, and remember a blog is not an attorney.  Please consult a lawyer in your state for advice specific to your situation.


No comments: