Friday, July 14, 2023

Estate Planning Wisdom From Frank Sinatra

Estate Planning Wisdom From Frank Sinatra

By Melinda Gustafson Gervasi

July 14, 2023

Image by M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2023

On a recent vacation to New York City my family found itself on the banks of the Hudson River in Hoboken, New Jersey.  We had an amazing lunch at the Blue Eyes restaurant, snapped a few selfies with the Frank Sinatra statue (pictured above), and then headed into Manhattan for a week of exploring the city.  During our road trip east we listened to Sinatra's greatest hits, and a few lines from My Way hung in my mind.  My thoughts twisted and turned as I made the transition from "work mode" to "vacation mode", 

"I faced it all and I stood tall and I did it my way."

 Hitting the ear of an estate planning and probate attorney, I heard:

  1. Face the facts of your life situation;
  2. Be confident in what you think is best; and
  3. Express what you want to happen.

Much has been written about why people do not set up a will; oftentimes, when asked why they do not have a will, people cite an aversion to thinking about death or claim they do not have the time or money to go through the process.  After nearly 20 years of counseling clients, I suspect another reason for the aversion is avoiding the reality of your life situation.  Writing a will makes people confront family estrangements, lower net worth than expected, or the reality of a terminal illness.  

Standing tall is to be confident.  The process of creating a will is formal and official, putting your thoughts and wishes into a legally binding document that is properly witnessed makes it certain about what you desire.

During my nearly two decades of working with clients to create wills I know that all too often other people will try and influence where the money goes.   It is crucial to make the decision yourself. These are your final wishes.

I'll close with the reminder that a blog is not a lawyer, but a piece meant to spark thought and reflection.  Please consult with a lawyer licensed in your state of residence for advice specific to your situation.  Best wishes, and thank you for reading. 



 

 

No comments: