Friday, August 4, 2023

Estate Planning & Probate for the Bibliophile

Estate Planning & Probate for the Bibliophile

August 4, 2023

By Melinda Gustafson Gervasi

Bibliophile -- is an adjective that should be included in any online profile I write for myself.   Some people have a "to read" pile of books on the nightstand.  I have a "to read" book shelf.  As a young child I remember summer days spent organizing and reorganizing my book collection.  It has been a lifelong trait since my mother first started buying me Golden Books as a toddler.   Now, as I approach the 50 year milestone, my book collection is extensive.  

My love of books and reading was a significant influence in my decision to enter law school and engage in the practice of law.  After nearly twenty years of handling estate planning and probate cases, I am acutely aware of the fact that one day someone (my husband, my kids, or my banker) will need to figure out what to do with all of those books I accumulated.  Apparently I am not the only reader to ponder this question.  At the end of 2022 Karen Heller wrote about the heartbreak bibliophiles face when having to face purging their books.  Her piece appeared in the Washington Post.  I agree with the sentiments presented -- someone will need to sort through the stacks and re-home the material.  Obvious paths include:

  • Gifting -- during your lifetime can you gift the book to a specific person who would enjoy the piece?
  • Selling -- generate some income by selling collections to second hand shops, antique dealers, or on Ebay.
  • Little Free Libraries -- fill up your neighbors Little Free Library and let a local enjoy the book.
  • Public Libraries -- donate to public libraries, who sell donations to support library operations.
  • Charity Thrift Stores -- drop off books at thrift stores that support your favorite non-profit.
  • Recycle -- explore how you can recycle outdated books with your city or local municipality (for local readers of my blog, check out WM, a recycling center)
A reader and a writer, image of author's 2013 self-published book.

Did I miss another option for your books?  Leave a comment and share the knowledge!  Thank you for reading.  Remember, a blog is not legal advice, but rather a platform to generate thought and discussion.  Share this post with others who might benefit.  Be well, and enjoy National Book Lovers Day, August 9, 2023. 

No comments: