Friday, October 6, 2023

Celebrating 50 -- The Gift of Decluttering

Celebrating 50 -- The Gift of Decluttering

By Melinda Gustafson Gervasi

October 6, 2023

You only turn 50 once, so I decided to embrace the transition to a new decade rather than shun or ignore the event.  Turning 50 is far better than the alternative, something I am reminded daily as an estate planning and probate attorney.  After a celebratory weekend, complete with a bonfire with friends and quality time with my family on the University of Wisconsin - Madison campus, I spent a Monday giving myself the gift of decluttering.  More specifically, I pulled EVERYTHING out of my closet and dresser, and put back about one-third of the items.  The remainder I packed up and dropped off at my favorite local thrift store - The Dane County Humane Society Thrift Store.  It is easy for me to release my hold on a item I sort of enjoy knowing it will be generate much needed cash for animals in need.  The impact of open space was exhilarating, and I wanted more. Which leads me to this post -- recipes.

My year of 50 will be populated with decluttering events, saying good-bye to things that may have brought me joy or some fun, but no longer need to be with me during this chapter of my life.  My attention is now focused on my kitchen, starting with recipes.  

Recently I made a Mini-Chocolate-Bran Muffin recipe that I have had for over 15 years.  It was just okay, no one really loved the muffins.  So I opted to put the paper recipe into recycling, not back in my recipe binder.  I have resolved to work through the pile of faded, stained, and disorganized recipes to see what needs to be tossed, and what I will keep.  The keepers will then be entered into a Goolge Docs form I have created.  Why Google Docs?  Simple, it is:

  • Free
  • Easy to share with my children
  • I can copy and paste specific recipes into an email or text to share with friends (or readers)
  • The application is already on my phone for easy access at home or on the road
  • Edits and notes are easy to make
  • It won't fade, stain, or fall between the cracks
Image by M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2023

Doing all of this in one day or weekend is simply too much, and would result me throwing my hands up in frustration.  Taking a year to work through recipes, many of which are seasonal or holiday based, makes this a far more manageable task.  Keep reading and track my progress.  And if you have a tip to share on decluttering the kitchen, post a comment!

Be well, thanks for reading, and click Follow in the upper right-hand corner to receive future posts. 


No comments: