Does Your Personal Representative Know Where To Find Your Will?

A will is a guide for the probate court on how you want your probate estate distributed, who should serve as personal representative, and if you have minor children it nominates a guardian. If you take the time and spend the money to complete a will, make certain that it can be found after your death. If not, you've just died without a will!

Last week I learned that an elderly couple I assisted some years ago had both died. Their seven grieving children descended upon the house and were unable to find the wills. I received a panicked call. We needed the original to file with the court, and I encouraged them to look again, this time armed with a description of how I package final papers. To their relief, both wills were found.

Grieving a loved one is hard enough, don't make it any harder by keeping your will so safe that no one can find it. I always encourage clients to tell their personal representative the location of a will, but not the specific contents of the document -- that is private.

As always, I recommend you consult with an estate planning and probate attorney in your home state for legal advice....a blog post is not legal advice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Sharon!: Modern Day Grave Robbers

A Parting Gift: 9 Things To Tell Your Personal Representative or Executor

From Overwhelmed to Organized: A 2026 Monthly Action Plan for Your Estate Plan