Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pets and Improved Health

Earlier this week NPR ran a story on the link between pets and increased health.  From dogs to cats to birds to horses, study after study show evidence that exposure to animals helps in the healing process and in some cases  promotes prevention.  I've read other articles that demonstrate dog owners are healthier because they go for a walk, every day, because of the dog.

Reading this I couldn't help but think -- I wish my 14 year old cat knew about this.  He routinely wakes me in the middle of the night for attention.  A good nights sleep is vital to good health....but he does put a smile on my face.

How about you -- does your animal companion improve your health?

Image taken by author, 2012 -- Reilly waiting for attention


No comments: