Monday, September 10, 2012

What I've Been Reading: Mindfulness



Over the weekend I quickly "read" the book Mindfulness: an eight-week plan for finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams and Danny Penman.  Several times I ear marked a page thinking "yes, that is exactly my problem".  One that stood out was related to the "doing mode" we tend to find ourselves in when caring for others.  There are the children, the aging parents, the career, the marriage.  The authors point out how we tell ourselves it is temporary.  But is it really?  Does a reprieve ever arrive?

While I am not inclined to embark on an eight-week journey they provide (too rigid for me, an already rigid Type A personality), it does underscore in my mind the important role meditation and mindfulness play in my life.  Recently added to my daily routine, I will continue to read, explore, and try new practices in an effort to  ease the stress of daily life.

This is a nice book for anyone looking for a structured approached to meditation and mindfulness as well as those who are curious about the inner dialogue present in so many peoples' minds these days.  Happy reading.

No comments: