Thursday, October 4, 2012

High-Tech Headstones

Most people have probably seen those new high tech boxes with squiggles, called QR codes.  They have them everywhere -- stores, coffee shops, the library.  And now at the cemetery.  No, I am not joking.  NPR ran a story on it last week (thanks to my husband for sending me this link).  The idea is to link a headstone with a personalized web page for the deceased.  The web page can contain photos, music, stories, etc.  According to the people behind this business, it will make visiting a cemetery more interactive for future generations -- sit down and watch family movies and put some flowers on the grave.

Creeped out or ready to sign up?  I think I fall into the creeped out category on this one.  It seems as though technology is seeping into every aspect of our lives, and quite contemplation at someone's final resting place seems like something to hold on to.  But that is just me -- what about  you?


No comments: