Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Marital Property, A Home, And Death in Wisconsin

When I work with married clients on developing an estate plan, I always make them pull a copy of the deed to their home and other real property (i.e. land) that they own. Why? In Wisconsin, if both names are on the deed and one party dies the other can file an HT-110 form with the register of deeds and have it transferred to their name, outside of probate. This saves costs and happens much faster. The filing fee is small, currently $30.

As always, this blog is for sharing information and is not legal advice. Please consult with your attorney before taking any action on an estate plan.

No comments: