Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Death and Identity Theft

Image credit:  www.sxc.hu - free image

Dying does not put an end to identify theft, it may even accelerate it!  According to this article the Social Security Administration sells its list of deceased Social Security card holders.  From which the deceased's SSN can be posted on-line, and be stolen.  Thieve claim the deceased on his/her tax return, and take the deceased's tax return if it was available.

Prevention occurs when loved ones monitor a deceased person's credit report, which requires a death certificate and proof of relationship.  Seriously!  I loose a family member and now I have to monitor their credit until I die!  Honestly, the government needs to take steps to prevent SSNs from being posted on the internet.

Agree with me?  If yes, I urge you to contact your Representative and or Senator in the US Congress.  Simple changes would spare families continued loss, and bring an end to some criminal pursuits.

No comments: