Monday, June 25, 2012

5 Reasons I'm Running the Capital City 5K

What will you be doing the evening of Saturday, July 28th?  I know what I'll be doing.  Running in my second 5k of the year -- the Capital City 5K for Organ, Tissue and Eye Donation.  Here are five reasons why I've signed up:

  1. Transplants save lives.  Friends as well as clients of mine are living proof;
  2. Money and awareness mean more transplants, and a 5k raises both;
  3. Scheduling a timed run forces me to put daily runs on my calendar, and running neutralizes the stress of being a solo-practitioner;
  4. Who can say no to a twilight run along a lake in Madison?; and
  5. It makes for a great "date night" with my husband, who will be running along with me.
Does a 5k seem daunting to you?  Would dinner and drinks make for a better date night?  Skeptical about what good can come from a few hundred runners and walkers in south central Wisconsin?  Negative thoughts like these are pushed from my mind when my phone rings.  Too often the person on the other end has just received a fatal cancer diagnosis or lost a loved one to disease.  Life is short.  Prevention is powerful.  Dollars add up to make a difference in the lives of others.  Run or walk a 5k this summer.  Enjoy life, do what you can to prolong it, and while you are hear raise money and awareness for good causes.  At least that is the motto of this estate planning and probate attorney.


No comments: