Friday, June 29, 2012

A Guardian For Minor Children, Not Guardians

Image credit:  www.sxc.hu - free image


Has the stork made a visit to your home?  Whether the visit was earlier this year or 14 years ago, as a parent you have undoubtedly given some thought to naming a guardian for your minor children.  And I'd bet money you've thought about what couple would make good guardians.  Great, now ask yourself "if they did have guardianship of my child(ren) and got divorced, which person would I want to have my child(ren)."  That is the person I would name.   Yes, this stuff happens.  Parents die.  Guardianship is established.  The new family unit suffers a divorce.  Custody disputes arise.  Worse case scenario?  Sure, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.  Attorneys are trained to see the worse case scenario and plan accordingly.

No comments: