Friday, January 25, 2013

WI Chapter of Gilda's Club to Keep Original Name

Late last year I blogged about how Gilda's Club decided to change its name, and it appears that the non-profit listens to members and the general public.  Following huge outcry, the organization has opted to keep the name.  In my original post I did not realize that it was only the Wisconsin Chapter proposing the change,a fact that is much more apparent in the news coverage.  For more on the story, visit NPR's coverage.

When first hearing of the change it reminded me of a topic I routinely address with clients -- when including a non-profit in your will, it is essential to include the phrase "or its legal successor organization" because as shown here, names change.  Sometimes it is minor, such as adding "Inc." or "Foundation" other times it is more drastic.

I will leave you with a clip, honoring the comedian from which Gilda's Club emerged.  Thanks for reading, and I will be back next week with more thoughts on illness, death and taxes for the middle class.

Clip via YouTube -- Never mind.

No comments: